Situated next to the Wolf Academy, this late eighteenth century
home is typical of the beautiful Georgian-style square cut limestone
houses built by the Scots-Irish and German immigrants who settled
in this area.
The first-floor northern end of the house is believed to have
originally been built by Captain James Ralston, a gentleman farmer
and surveyor who in 1816 drew the plans that lay out the town of
Bath. The property then came into the hands of Thomas McKeen,
a storekeeper who would later become the city of Easton's most
prominent citizen. McKeen is believed to have built the more
formal two story southern end, and is known to have operated a store
in the house's dirt floor basement.
In 1981 the Governor Wolf Historical Society purchased the
Ralston-McKeen house in order to restore it to its original
condition. The home consists of eight rooms, six of which have
large fireplaces. Although abandoned for many years, nearly
all of the original trim and fireplace mantles remain.
Major structural work on this home, including a new roof, rebuilt
chimneys, and exterior pointing of the stone walls has been
performed by the Society. In July 1996 an archaeological dig
around the western stairs found numerous artifacts now on display at
the Society's museum.