About GWHS

Early in 1957, upon hearing that the Wolf Academy was for sale, Elias W. Spengler called a meeting of interested citizens to consider its purchase from the Berlin family.  On February 19, 1958, 103 individuals and organizations incorporated with the purpose of "acquisition, renovation, restoration, furnishing, and maintenance, as a historic site, of the old academy, commonly known as the 'Wolf Academy' situated in East Allen Township."  The articles named thirteen directors and assets of $1,000 for the Wolf Academy Restoration Society and the Bath Area Historical Society was called by Spengler, president of both groups.  The two groups merged and became the present day Governor Wolf Historical Society.

Today the Society is active in preserving the Lehigh Valley's rich historic heritage.  We are restoring the Ralston-McKeen House, the Wolf Academy and the Monocacy Schoolhouse, and coordinating local archaeological digs at these sites.  We also actively provide local schoolchildren with educational programs that teach about life in the Eighteenth and Nineteenth centuries.

Our current officers are:

     President - Kathy Wilhelm

     Vice-President - Linda Kortz

     Treasurer - Trish Mowen

     Secretary - Julie Swan

     Correspondence - Annette Vliet

We are guided by a board of up to 21 members. The Society publishes a quarterly newsletter.  Click here to contact us to be placed on our mailing list.